I know, I know, this blog has been neglected. Say no more. Travel, work, and depression at another Federer-less French Open has kept the presses from running. But fear not, Up Two Breaks is back and soon to be better than ever. In the meantime, let’s take a stab at a few banal predictions based on play at the first two rounds of the 2017 French Open.
- Thiem will go deep. He looks like a man on a mission with convincing wins against Tomic and Bolleli. Look for him to win big against Steve Johnson, setting up a Round of 32 matchup with Goffin and potential quarter against the Djoker.
- Rafa will win it all. Nothing more to add here.
- Halep will win the women’s tournament. This is a pretty spurious prediction since it’s impossible to make a reasoned prediction for the women’s bracket. However, it’s about time she won a slam, and her strong first two rounds make clear she wants it.
- Muguruza is a threat. She’s not played well recently, but the defending champion is playing with pluck in the early rounds.
- The Bryan Brothers are back! Haven’t actually watched them play, just felt the need to include a doubles match.
Dessert: Vogue’s guide to the 20117 French Open for the cultured and fashionable among you.